The Vermont Small Estate Affidavit is an affidavit written by the executor of an estate when a family member has passed away with or without making a will. Below you can find out how to write a free Vermont Small Estate Affidavit form, where to file the affidavit and the monetary and time limits involved.
A Vermont small estate affidavit form, also called a Vermont Petition to Open Small Estate form, is used in the event that the decedent had a limited amount of assets. To qualify as a small estate in Vermont, the estate in question must be valued at less than $10,000. A Vermont Small Estate Affidavit is used for the collection of personal property or real estate.
Vermont Small Estate Affidavit Requirements
- The decedent must be a resident of the State of Vermont.
- Falls under Vermont Statutes Title 14 Section 1902 – Letters of administration and letters testamentary, small estates, notice.
- The estate in question must be valued at less than $10,000.
- Thirty days have elapsed since the death of the decedent.
- Must be filed in the local superior court and probate division where the decedent resided at the time of death.
How to Write a Vermont Small Estate Affidavit Form
First of all, fill in the decedent’s name, date of death and address in the form. In the boxes indicating the survivors of the decedent, check each box that applies in the small estate affidavit. Check the box indicating if the decedent left a will or did not leave a will.
Make sure to attach a notarized inventory list of all the assets at cash value, a certified copy of the death certificate, a list of all the heirs and interested parties, the original will and any codicils, and a copy of the paid funeral bill to the affidavit. Also, an executor of the will must be named and entered into the affidavit.
Free Vermont Small Estate Affidavit Form
Once the entry fee is paid to the Vermont Superior Court and the affidavit recorded, the Vermont small estate affidavit is valid and the heirs can begin collecting the property.
Fill out and print a free Vermont Small Estate Affidavit online.