The Ohio Small Estate Affidavit is an affidavit written by the successors of an estate when a family member has passed away with or without making a will. Below you can find out how to write a free Ohio Small Estate Affidavit form, where to file the affidavit and the monetary and time limits involved.
An Ohio small estate affidavit form, also called an Ohio Application to Relieve Estate from Administration form, is used in the event that the decedent had a limited amount of assets. To qualify as a small estate in Ohio, the estate in question must be valued at less than $100,000. An Ohio Small Estate Affidavit is used for the collection of personal property or real estate.
Ohio Small Estate Affidavit Requirements
- The decedent must be a resident of the State of Ohio.
- Falls under Ohio Revised Code 2113.03 Court may order estate released from administration – Form 5.0.
- The estate in question must be valued at less than $100,000 for the spouse; $35,000 for all other beneficiaries.
- Thirty days have elapsed since the death of the decedent.
- Must be filed in the local probate court where the decedent resided at the time of death.
How to Write a Ohio Small Estate Affidavit Form
First of all, fill in the county in Ohio and the name of the decedent at the top of the form. Enter the decedent’s date of death and address in the heading of the form. Next, check the box stating that the decedent passed away testate or intestate. Then, check the box that most identifies the value of the assets left by the decedent at the time of death.
Attach a statement of all the assets and liabilities to be collected in the estate in the attached Form 5.1 and a certified copy of the death certificate to the affidavit. Make sure thirty days have elapsed since the decedent’s passing before getting the affidavit notarized.
Free Ohio Small Estate Affidavit Form
Once the document is signed and dated by the Probate Judge, the Ohio small estate affidavit is valid and successors can proceed to collect the assets of the decedent’s estate.
Fill out and print a free Ohio Small Estate Affidavit online.