A Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit is a legal document written by the successors of an estate when a family member has passed away with or without creating a will. Below you can find out how to write a free Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit form, where to file the affidavit and the time limits involved.
The Kentucky small estate affidavit form is used in circumstances where the decedent has a limited amount of assets. To qualify as a small estate in Kentucky, the estate in question must be valued at less than $15,000. A Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit can be used by surviving family members to avoid having to go through probate.
Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit Requirements
- The decedent must be a resident of the State of Kentucky or owned real estate in Kentucky.
- Falls under Kentucky Revised Statues 391.030 – Descent of personal property – Exemption for surviving spouse and children – Withdrawal of money from bank by surviving spouse.
- The estate in question must be valued at less than $15,000.
- Thirty days have elapsed since the death of the decedent.
- Must be filed in the local district court where the decedent resided.
How to Write a Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit Form
First, enter the decedent’s name, date of death and county in the which the decedent resided. In Section 3, check the box declaring that the decedent passed away with a will or without a will. Next, attach an inventory of all the personal property included in the decedent’s estate that is to be collected.
Then, list all the successors included in decedent’s estate and in Section 8, make sure to check the boxes identifying the affiant as a successor and is authorized to act in the interest of all the successors and the decedent.
Free Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit Form
Once thirty days have elapsed since the decedent passed away, the Kentucky small estate affidavit form can be signed and dated in the presence of a notary. The affidavit should then be filed with the local district court in which the decedent resided at the time of death.
Fill out and print a free Kentucky Small Estate Affidavit online.